HOLIDAY COOKIES (99)
LIBBY'S® PUMPKIN (20)
EASY DESSERTS (11)
BAKING FAVORITES (25)
I LOVE CHICKEN (80)
|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|AUTHENTIC FLOUR TORTILLAS|
6 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water
In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add shortening and mix until the consistency of coarse corn meal. Add warm (not hot!) water and mix thoroughly. Your dough should be very soft. (Note! It is important that the water be warm, never hot, as this will further pre-cook your tortilla dough and your tortilla will not be as flexible as desired).
Divide your dough into 30 equal balls and let rest for not less than 10 minutes, and proceed according to the following instructions.
(1) Pre-heat your griddle until small drops of water sizzle and disappear almost immediately.
(2) Place tortilla on griddle and allow to remain until small bubbles appear on the surface. (Approximately 3 seconds).
(3) Immediately turn over and allow to cook 10 seconds more.
(4) Turn over once again. When tortilla inflates allow 3 seconds more and your tortilla is done.
(5) Remove from griddle. Your tortilla should be flexible, perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious.
Cooks Note: If tortilla does not inflate it is probably being left too long when first put on the griddle.
With these flour tortillas you can prepare delicious and simple recipes.
Prepare the largest tortillas as possible. When cooked spread on it mayonnaise and a bit of mustard, as a filling, cut ham small pieces and cheese. If you want to serve them warm you can take them to the oven for about 10 min.
After the tortilla is well cooked you fill it with a slice of ham and melting cheese folding it to the middle put it on the grill until cheese is melted, turning the tortilla occasionally. You can also fill it with refried beans and cheese or sausage and cheese. The taste of melted cheese in the tortilla gives a delicious flavor to it.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|