|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|APPLE DUMPLINGS WITH HARD SAUCE|
1 recipe pie crust
3 tbsp. butter, softened
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. dark raisins
2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
6 lg. baking apples, Rome Beauty
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 egg yolk
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. unsifted confectioners' sugar
1. Make pastry and form into a flat 8" round; wrap in wax paper; refrigerate. In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons butter, granulated sugar, raisin, walnuts and cinnamon; blend. Core apples with cover.
2. Pare apples and brush with lemon juice. Using spoon fill hollows with raisin nut mixture. Set oven heat at 425 degrees. Grease a shallow baking pan, 15 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 1". On lightly floured surface, divide pastry evenly into sixths.
3. Form each piece into a round ball. Flatten each piece; then roll out from center into an 8 1/2" square. Trim edges using a pastry wheel for decorative edge. Save trimmings. Place an apple in center of each square; brush edges lightly with water.
4. Bring each corner of square to top of apple; pinch edges of pastry together firmly to cover apple completely. Re-roll trimming 1/4" thick and cut out 24 leaves, 1 3/4" long and 3/4" wide. Brush one end of each leaf with water.
5. Press leaves on top of dumplings, put clove in center. Arrange in pan. Brush with yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water. Bake, brushing once with juices in pan 40 minutes or until pastry is browned and apples are tender when tested with a wooden pick.
6. Remove dumplings to serving dishes. Serve warm, topped with Hard Sauce. In medium bowl cream butter until light, add confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|