THANKSGIVING SIDES (32)
LIBBY'S® PUMPKIN (20)
BEST CASSEROLES (26)
|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN|
1 broiler-fryer, cut up (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
3 c. water
1 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. fines herbes (blend in jar)
2 tsp. onion saute (powder)
2 tsp. seasoned salt
2 env. instant chicken broth
1/4 tsp. seasoned pepper
1 c. flour
Fat for frying
Chicken Broth (recipe follows)
Chicken Gravy (recipe follows)
1. Cover chicken with a mixture of water and salt in a medium-size bowl. Chill at least 1 hour.
2. Whirl fines herbes, onion saute, seasoned salt, instant chicken broth and seasoned pepper in an electric blender or grind in a mortar and pestle until a very fine powder. Combine with flour in a plastic bag.
3. Remove chicken pieces, a few at a time, from water; shake in flour mixture while still wet, until thickly coated with flour.
4. Melt enough shortening or pour in enough salad oil to make a 1- inch depth in a large skillet or chicken fryer; heat to 375 degrees.
5. Fry chicken pieces, turning once, 5 minutes on each side. Lift out with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper toweling.
6. When all pieces are fried; drain the fat from skillet. Add 1 cup chicken broth to skillet; return chicken pieces; cover skillet.
7. Cook 15 minutes or until chicken pieces are fork tender. Place on hot serving platter and keep warm in oven while making chicken gravy.
Place salted water in which chickens soaked, with chicken giblets in a small saucepan; add 2 onion slices and a handful of celery tops. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Makes about 3 cups.
Strain and add remaining chicken broth to skillet that chicken was cooked in; heat to boiling, stirring and scraping baked-on juices from bottom and side of pan. Make a paste with 4 tablespoons flour and 1/2 cup cold water in a small cup. Stir into boiling liquid; continue stirring and boiling for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper; darken with a little gravy coloring, if you wish. Add chopped giblets and simmer 2 minutes longer. Makes about 2 1/2 cups. Makes about 4 servings.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|