SUMMER BEVERAGES (25)
MORTON® SALT (13)
|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|MOM'S SWANS DOWN ANGEL FOOD CAKE|
1 1/4 c. sifted Swans Down cake flour
1/2 c. sifted granulated sugar
1 1/2 c. (about 12) egg whites, set at room temp. for at least 1 hour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract (omit for chocolate angel food)
1 1/3 c. sifted granulated sugar
(For chocolate angel food, substitute 1/4 cup cocoa for 1/4 cup cake flour.)
1. Sift flour (and cocoa when making chocolate angel food) once, measure and add 1/2 cup sugar and sift together 4 times.
2. Combine egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and flavorings in large bowl. Beat with flat wire whip or sturdy beater until the whites form soft peaks that are moist and glossy.
3. Then add rest of sugar in 4 additions by sprinkling about 5 tablespoons at a time over the whites and beating until sugar is blended, about 25 beating strokes per time.
4. Add flour and sugar mixture in 4 additions, sifting it over the egg whites. Fold in each addition with flat wire whip or large spoon turning bowl gradually. Use 15 complete fold over strokes each time. After last addition. use 10 to 12 additional fold over strokes.
5. Gently pour into 10" ungreased tube pan. Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 to 40 minutes.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|
Have your own version of this recipe? Share it here