HOLIDAY COOKIES (99)
LIBBY'S® PUMPKIN (20)
SOUR CREAM LOVERS (45)
|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|ITALIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD (Panatone)|
2 pkg. yeast (compressed or dry)
1/4 c. water (lukewarm for compressed, warm for dry yeast)
1 c. milk
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. soft butter
7 c. sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. golden raisins
1/3 c. finely chopped blanched almonds
1/3 c. chopped candied citron
1/3 c. finely chopped candied lemon peel
1 tbsp. water
1. Soften yeast in 1/4 cup water. Scald milk. Add sugar, salt and butter. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Add 2 cups flour and beat at low speed. Add softened yeast and mix well.
3. Cover and let rise in warm place until mixture is bubbly (about 1 hour). Stir down.
4. Beat 4 eggs and 1 egg yolk, reserving 1 egg white for glaze. Add eggs and vanilla to flour mixture (beat well). Add enough more flour to make dough soft.
5. Turn out on lightly floured board, gradually knead in raisins, almonds and candied fruits, knead until smooth and satiny.
6. Place in greased bowl and let rise until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours). When light punch down.
7. Divide dough into 2 equal portions and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each portion into a round loaf and place in a greased 8 inch round pan.
8. Combine egg white in water. Brush tops of loaves generously with egg mixture, let rise until doubled 1 hour.
9. Brush with egg white mixture again and bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Makes 2 loaves.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|