LIBBY'S® PUMPKIN (20)
FOOTBALL SNACKS (40)
QUICK BREADS (29)
|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|ROAST BEEF IN ONION JUICE|
A choice cut of beef, slowly braised, makes a distinguished meat when cooking in a flavorful combination of broth, wine, herbs and spices. The subtle flavor is enhanced with circles of onions that cook right along with the roast. For 6 to 8 servings you will need:
3 lb. beef top round, shoulder clod, chuck or rump roast
Salt & black pepper
2 1/2 onions, sliced into rings
1 1/2 c. boiling beef broth or vegetable stock
1/4 c. dry white or red wine
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed Bouquet Garni
3-4 parsley sprigs
Bouquet Garni - 3 to 4 parsley sprigs, 1 bay leaf, 4 cloves, 8 peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme and marjoram leaves, tied in cheesecloth.
1. Wipe roast with damp paper toweling. Season with salt and black pepper. In large Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast slowly in heated oil on all sides.
2. Remove roast. Saute onions in oil until golden. Drain excess fat. Return meat to pan, along with broth, wine, garlic and bouquet garni.
3. Cover and simmer about 50 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove bouquet garni.
4. Skim fat from broth. Serve broth as is with roast or boil down if too thin.
5. Slice roast. Top with onions. Sprinkle with parsley.
Tips: Potatoes, peeled and halved, and carrots, peeled and quartered, can be added during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Good served with: Parsleyed potatoes, broiled cherry tomatoes and almond cake for dessert.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|