THANKSGIVING SIDES (32)
LIBBY'S® PUMPKIN (20)
CHICKEN WINGS (63)
BEST CASSEROLES (26)
SOUR CREAM LOVERS (45)
|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|LAMB SHANKS ITALIAN (MOCK OSSO BUCCO)|
2 lamb shanks
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 c. water
1 med. carrot
2 celery stalks
1 med. onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper
1 c. low salt chicken broth
1 1/2 c. low salt tomatoes
1/2 tbsp. each: basil, parsley, oregano
Dash black pepper
1 c. cooking wine (your choice)
2 slices lemon
1/2 lb. any pasta (sm. pasta curls or shells)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Trim fat and skin from lamb shanks. Slash the meaty portion through to the bone several times.
2. Place lamb shanks in heavy casserole with enough water to cover bottom of pan. Cover and simmer for several minutes, turn, simmer again until all water has evaporated. Drain off any accumulated fat, but DO NOT RINSE PAN.
3. Add olive oil and water to the pot. Braise shanks until they are golden brown. Set aside.
4. Add diced carrot, celery stalks, onion, garlic, green pepper, to the shanks in the pot, and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring gently.
5. Add chicken broth and crushed tomatoes. Cover pot and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender (10 to 15 minutes).
6. Season with basil, parsley, oregano, pepper, wine and slices of lemon. Cover, simmer about 3 minutes and set aside.
While sauce is cooking, prepare 1/2 pound of your favorite small pasta curls, shells, etc. and cook to al dente stage. Drain, turn into deep serving dish, and toss with olive oil. Dress with the prepared sauce, top with the lamb shanks, and pass the Parmesan! Serves 4. 1 hour preparation.
A side dish of salad greens makes this a very satisfying meal. Leftovers can be recycled into tasty heart luncheon soup.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|