|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
1 env. active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water, 105-115 degrees
1 c. milk, scalded
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick), softened
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 c. cool water
1 c. mixed candied fruit
1 c. golden raisins
6 - 6 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in measuring cup. Let stand until foamy, about 3 minutes.
2. Combine hot milk, sugar, butter, salt and cardamom in large bowl. Add water. Let stand until lukewarm.
3. Stir egg, mixed fruit, raisins and yeast mixture into milk mixture. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until stiff dough is formed. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.
4. Press dough into large buttered bowl; turn to bring buttered side up. Cover with towel. Let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Divide dough in half. Form into 2 round loaves. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
6. Bake in preheated moderate oven, 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on bottoms. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
7. Drizzle glaze over top.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|