THANKSGIVING SIDES (32)
LIBBY'S® PUMPKIN (20)
HOLIDAY COOKIE (99)
MINUTE® RICE (25)
|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
1 flank steak (1 1/2 lbs., trimmed)
1-2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 c. diced onion
3/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. caraway seeds
1 tsp. dried chervil (opt.)
Water or low fat broth to cover
1. Pound meat on both sides to flatten and tenderize. Sprinkle evenly with spices and onion. It is easier to roll if you leave a 1" unsprinkled border.
2. Roll meat tightly, lengthwise, in a jelly roll fashion, so when sliced, it will cut across the grain.
3. Tie securely with string. Close the ends with skewers or sew them closed.
4. Place in large Dutch oven. Add just enough water or broth to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
5. Remove meat from liquid. Press between 2 flat surfaces (the top surface should be weighted with a heavy object, such as an iron skillet). Allow to cool.
6. Tightly wrap with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove string. Slice thin for serving.
SERVING: Can be served with a horseradish dressing; refer to Variation 1 of recipe for Basic Cheese Sauce and Dressings. Yield: 12 servings as appetizer. 76 calories per serving.
NOTE: The Rullepolse can be served as a main course, an appetizer atop a crusty French bread, or used as a filling for sandwiches. It makes a delicious alternative to luncheon meats. To prevent bread from becoming soggy, spread each bread slice with a thin layer of butter before placing the Rullepolse slice on it.
An authentic Rullepolse is made with 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt. We have reduced the amount considerably. You may wish to reduce it further, depending upon your tastes and needs.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|