LUCKY LEAF® (10)
BEST CASSEROLES (26)
BEEF BONANZA (48)
|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|STRAWBERRY LAYER CAKE WITH FLUFFY|
2/3 c. sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. grated orange or lemon rind
4 eggs, separated
1/8 tsp. salt
1 env. whipped topping mix
1/2 c. cold skim milk
1/4 c. reduced sugar strawberry spread
1/3 c. sugar
2 tbsp. dark corn syrup
3 tbsp. water
2 egg whites
1. Grease 3 (8" x 1 1/2") round non-stick layer cake pans. Line bottoms with foil. Grease foil.
2. Prepare Cake: Sift flour and baking powder onto wax paper. Combine sugar and rind on second sheet of wax paper. Beat yolks and sugar mixture in small bowl on high speed 7 minutes. Beat in flour mixture; mixture will be very thick and sticky.
3. Beat whites and salt in clean bowl with clean beaters until soft peaks form. Stir one-third of whites into yolk mixture; fold in remaining whites. Divide batter evenly among prepared pans.
4. Bake in preheated hot oven, 400 degrees, for 5 minutes or until cake pulls away from side of pan and springs back when lightly touched. Loosen cakes around edges with knife. Invert cakes onto racks. Peel off foil. Cool completely.
5. Prepare Filling: Prepare the whipped topping mix following package directions, using the skim milk instead of whole milk. Fold in the strawberry spread. Refrigerate mixture for 10 minutes to firm up, if necessary.
6. Set one cake layer on cake plate. Spread with half the filling; top with second layer. Spread with remaining filling; stack on third layer. Refrigerate for 1 hour before frosting.
7. Prepare Frosting: Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in very small, heavy saucepan. Reserve.
8. Beat egg whites in small bowl until firm peaks form. Bring corn syrup mixture to boiling. Continue boiling, without stirring, until mixture registers 242 degrees on candy thermometer. With mixer running, very slowly pour hot syrup in thin stream into beaten whites, beating constantly. Continue beating on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form. Frost cake and serve.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|
Have your own version of this recipe? Share it here