|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|BROWN SUGAR APPLE PIE|
1 pkg. (11 oz.) pie crust mix
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. flour
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt
6 c. thinly sliced, pared, tart apples (about 2 lbs.)
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
2 tbsp. butter
1 egg yolk
1. Make pastry as package directs. Roll pastry for bottom crust as directed in Rhubarb Custard Pie.
2. Preheat oven to 425 F. In large bowl, mix sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add apples; toss lightly to combine. Turn apple mixture into pastry-lined pie plate, mounding up in center to support top crust. Sprinkle with lemon peel. Dot apples with butter cut in small pieces.
3. Roll out remaining pastry into 12 inch circle. Fold over in quarters; cut slits for steam vents.
4. Using scissors, trim overhanging pastry of bottom crust to measure 1/2 inch from rim of pie plate. Carefully place folded pastry for top crust so that point is at center of filing, and unfold. Using scissors, trim overhanging pastry of top crust to measure 1 inch from edge all around. Moisten edge of bottom pastry with a little water. Fold top pastry under edge of bottom pastry.
5. With fingers, press edges to seal. Press upright to form rim. Crimp edge: Place thumb on edge of pastry at an angle. Pinch dough between index finger and thumb. Repeat at same angle all around. Mix yolk with 1 tablespoon water; brush on crust. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until apples are tender, crust golden. Serve warm. Serves 6 to 8.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|