|EVERY FEW MINUTES|
|SKY - HIGH BISCUITS|
Preparation time: 15 minutes. Baking time: 12 to 15 minutes. Oven temperature: 450 degrees.
Flaky and golden, these biscuits have pleased diners since pioneer days. They are quick and easy to make and so much better than those in a can. You can make and shape them ahead; bake and serve hot from the oven.
FOR ABOUT 20 BISCUITS YOU WILL NEED:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 c. butter
1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk
1. In a bowl combine the flours, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar.
2. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
3. Add egg and milk, stirring quickly and briefly. Knead lightly on floured board.
4. Roll or pat gently to 1-inch thickness. Cut into 1 to 2 inch biscuits. Place in a greased 10-inch iron skillet or on a 9-inch square pan. For crusty biscuits, separate on a cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 450 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
Good served with : Crisp bacon and eggs in place of toast for breakfast. They are also tasty, split, spread with mustard and thinly sliced cold turkey and cheese.
TIPS: To lower fat content, use skim milk. To lower salt content, eliminate the salt.
|Share:||+ Add review or comment|